Pre-Authorization

Zachary Kirkpatrick

14 Nov, 2017 07:23 PM

Hello, I am new to Cheddar. We are an existing online subscriber based service and have been around since 1995. We are looking for a service to process our monthly subscription fees since we have all of our subscriber payment information on our secured company server. We have between 700 - 800 individual subscribers last time I checked. We have manually imported a select number of subscriptions to our account to see if we would have problems with your system accepting this payment information. Our original processor choice was Stripe, but there were numerous credit cards that were rejected and that scared us away. I tried these same cards in a Cheddar account and all the credit card information were accepted thus far. However, I would like to be able to pre-authorize this data to make sure we won't have any hiccups before we transfer the bulk of our subscriptions over to you all. Is there any way you all can assist either on your end, or telling me how to pre-authorize on my end? Thanks for the help.

Zach

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 14 Nov, 2017 09:24 PM

Hi Zachary,

Welcome to Cheddar, I hope you've enjoyed your experience with the platform thus far! I'm happy to answer your questions about pre-authorization, but I also want to go over a few things about the import process with you, so we can ensure your transition to Cheddar goes smoothly.

First and foremost, do you have access to your customer's credit card information? It sounds like this might be the case since you've been storing it on your internal server, but I wanted to confirm. If you already have a payment processor storing your customer's credit card information, it will change how the import process will work.

If you do have credit card numbers for your customers, the import process is pretty simple. You can use our customers/new API call to add customers to your Cheddar account with their payment information.

As far as pre-authorization of card data goes, when you add a new customer with a payment method, I believe our built-in payment processor verifies the card information, but let me check-in with our engineering team to confirm that. Is that the kind of pre-authorization you're referring to, or is there something else you're looking for? Do you have any card authorization built into your current payment flow?

Lastly, before you create new customers, I want to make sure your payment processing account is configured properly on the backend, so hold off on adding new paying customers to your Cheddar account until I let you know that you're good to go. This shouldn't take very long, I'll keep you updated on our progress.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Looking forward to working with you!

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Zachary Kirkpat... on 14 Nov, 2017 10:15 PM

Meghan,

Thanks for the quick follow up. We do store all of our credit cards on an encrypted server. which communicates directly with our gateway Authorize.net. We are not PCI compliant so we need to get these stored by a gateway/processor like yourself. Our IT guy has reviewed what it takes to import the credit card information and he does not think it will be a problem based on your current procedures and the fact we don't have our credit card information stored at a third party location.

As for pre-authorization, if you all already pre-authorize them when I input the information then that is probably the answer I'm needing. I want to make sure there aren't any surprises when this test batch is processed on December 1st and then when we import the remainder of our information down the road. When we receive a new application, get a credit card update, etc, we pre-authorize credit cards $1.00 to make sure the information is valid. If you can confirm that your system operates in a similar fashion, then that is what I'm looking for. Hoping that makes sense.

We do not plan on importing any new subscribers quite yet (probably not until December). I will await any further comments you might have. Thanks.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 16 Nov, 2017 07:24 PM

Hi Zach,

I've confirmed that we do verify new credit cards when you add them to a customer account in Cheddar with our built-in payment processor. The authorization routine should be similar to what you've experienced in the past. If the card is added with a transaction the authorization processes with the transaction. If the card is added without an associated transaction, we'll perform a $1.00 or $0.00 (if available) auth.

I'm still waiting for final confirmation that your payment processing account is ready to go, but I expect it should be complete soon! In the meantime, I wanted to see if, in addition to your customer's card numbers, you also store the expiration date, name on the card, CVV, and billing country. All this information is typically required by our processor to create a new record for a customer in the payment gateway, but if you don't have to some of these data points, we can figure out a workaround.

Meghan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac