Cancelled Payment. What do I do?

Garrett Mintz

08 Sep, 2017 01:52 PM

Hi Cheddargetter,

I recently was notified that a payment was declined. How do I solve this problem? Do I resend them a payment link to upload a new card? Can I know why the payment was cancelled (i.e. was it manual or did the card expire?)?

Garrett

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 08 Sep, 2017 04:54 PM

Hi Garrett,

Cheddar has a couple of features in place to help you recover declined transactions.

First, we have a feature called dunning that automatically re-tries declined transactions on recurring invoices after a few days. The default dunning schedule attempts to run the transaction a total of 4 times with two days between each transaction attempt. The customer's subscription won't be canceled until all 4 attempts have been made and declined. If you'd like to change your dunning schedule you can do so on the product settings page of your dashboard. If you'd like to learn more about how dunning works in Cheddar, check out the Dunning Knowledge Base article.

Also, to help you get the customer to update their payment information, Cheddar will automatically send an email notification to the customer to let them know that their card has been declined with a link to your hosted payment page where they can update their card information. This email gets sent every time a decline happens, so if the customer is in dunning, they'll be reminded multiple times to update their information before cancellation occurs. To use this feature, all you need to do is enable the payment declined email notification type in the customer communication section of your product account (it looks like you already have it enabled).

For additional detail about the reason for a decline, take a look at the error code of the declined transaction, which you can find in the email sent to you when a decline occurs or in your Cheddar product account's error log. To learn more about what these codes mean, take a look at this section of our Error Handling Knowledge Base article.

Hope that's helpful, Garrett! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Garrett Mintz on 11 Sep, 2017 01:46 PM

Hi Meghan,

Thank you for following up with me. Would you also recommend that I follow up with the client personally and ask him to update his card?

Garrett

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 11 Sep, 2017 04:05 PM

Hi Garrett,

I'd recommend trying out both methods (sending a personal email or just relying on the automatic dunning emails) to see what works best for you and your customers. When it comes to declined transaction recovery, there's no single method that's optimal for everyone. The best dunning schedule and recovery method will depend on the type of product you're selling and the expectations and needs of your customers. Trying a few different methods will help you learn what works best for you over time.

You also have the option to change the content of the payment declined emails to make them seem more personal. You can update the template for that email here. The content of the email template is already conditional (sends out different message content depending on the type of decline), but updating that language to fit your brand a bit better might be helpful!

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Meghan

4. Marcela Poffald closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2018 04:07 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM