Billing and Subscription Start

Chris Baker

26 Jun, 2017 04:05 PM

Am I able to create a subscription where the start date is in the future? I would like to have customers be able to sign up and reserve a spot by paying (or entering payment information), but not have their subscription actually start until a future date. For example, customers can come to my site today and register for a class that starts on 7/3/17. On 7/3/17 they will automatically be charged and given access to the service, then their subscription will renew on 8/3/17, 9/3/17, etc.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 26 Jun, 2017 04:53 PM

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Cheddar! I hope you've enjoyed your set-up experience thus far.

To answer your question, yes you can set the customer's first bill to be a date in the future. It sounds like for your use case, where it may be a variable amount of time from when a customer signs-up for your services to when you'd like their first bill to take place (meaning that depending on the sign-up date, the customer's first bill could be 2 weeks or just a few days after sign-up), you'll want to pass in the initial bill date when you create a customer via the API.

You can read more about the customers/new API call here, but the particular param you'll be interested in is [susbscription]initialBillDate. If you pass in a date for this param, the customer's first invoice will be set to bill on that date. Whatever date is passed in with this param overrides the settings for first invoice date in the configuration of the customer's subscribed pricing plan.

You also have the option use the pricing plan configuration to set a customer's first bill date for sometime in the future, but using this option is best when you want every new customer who subscribes to that plan to be billed a set number of days or months after sign-up rather than a variable amount. If you have any questions about pricing plan configuration, you can find more detail in this Knowledge Base article.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you, Chris!

Meghan

2. Marcela Poffald closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2018 04:05 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM