How to migrate To PayPal Billing Agreements from PayPal Adaptive Payments

Eric Jenkins

03 May, 2017 07:28 PM

Hi, I wanted to see what if anything needs to be done in order to start using the PayPal API and avoid the adaptive payment redirect page. I need to understand how this would work for existing customers and new customers.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 03 May, 2017 09:18 PM

Hi Eric,

Glad you're interested in implementing billing agreements! We think it's an improvement over preapprovals and we hope you think so to. Before you get started, it's important to note that you can only use billing agreements with the API (not hosted pages) and you'll need to have PayPal to approve your account for reference transactions. You can contact PayPal customer support to request this approval.

Once you're approved, the process for getting Billing Agreements set-up is outlined pretty well in our Using PayPal with API article. The article goes over how to create a billing agreement, how to create a customer with a billing agreement, and how to update a customer record with a billing agreement.

To get your existing PayPal customers on to billing agreements we can put your PayPal accounts into migration mode. When your account is in migration mode customers currently billing through preapprovals will continue to be billed via preapproval until they update their payment information, at which point they'll be switched to billing agreements. Any new customers will be added via the billing agreements method.

Feel free to send me any questions you have as you're going through the documentation. Once you've got billing agreements set-up, let us know and we can help you configure migration mode for your PayPal billing solution.

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Eric Jenkins on 04 May, 2017 01:22 AM

Hi Meghan,

Thank you for explaining this migration mode. One question about the initial setup is that the PAYMENTREQUEST_0_CURRENCYCODE seems to have to be in one currency. We have two CG products (one in USD and one in EUR) but we currently use the same PayPal account to receive payments. Would we be able to continue using just one PayPal account to support both currencies?

Finally, for us to start testing the implementation on our side, does our account already need to be in migration mode? In migration mode, if we used the old pre-approval workflow for a new customer, would that still work? The reason I ask is I am trying to determine the best way to test this and understand if there is any downside of going into this migration mode before our implementation of the new workflow is ready. If that wont work, perhaps the simplest way is to create a new CG product that we use just for development purposes. Your thoughts?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 04 May, 2017 04:15 PM

Hi Eric,

One question about the initial setup is that the PAYMENTREQUEST_0_CURRENCYCODE seems to have to be in one currency. We have two CG products (one in USD and one in EUR) but we currently use the same PayPal account to receive payments. Would we be able to continue using just one PayPal account to support both currencies?

I believe so, but you should also confirm with PayPal support that once you're approved for reference transactions you'll still be able to process in both USD and EUR with a single account. When you're setting up your billing agreement workflow, I think you should be able to design it to have the correct currency code depending on the CG product it's interacting with since each of your CG products is associated with a single currency (Teleup EUR and Teleup USD).

If that wont work, perhaps the simplest way is to create a new CG product that we use just for development purposes.

This is what I'd recommend. It's perfectly fine with us if you create a CG product that remains in dev mode for testing purposes. When we enable migration mode in a live account, it will essentially disable the preapproval workflow, so testing in a dev environment is the best option until your billing agreement integration is ready to deploy.

Keep us updated on your progress and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Meghan

4. Meghan Turner closed this discussion on 12 Mar, 2018 01:57 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM